- Christmas GOATS Candy and Jingle Bells GetYerGoat™ October 17, 2017
- Goat Breeds Painted Portraits March 22, 2017
- Goat Yoga Is a Thing March 9, 2017
- I Just Freaking LOVE Baby Goats March 5, 2017
- Just a Goat February 24, 2017
- Goats – I Survived Kidding Season January 29, 2017
- WIN GoatPedia™ Goat Owner’s Guide and Calendar January 24, 2017
- Awesome Goat Lover T-Shirt September 30, 2016
- FunnY Weekend Goat Forecast Goat Gifts July 30, 2015
- Paddy McGinty’s Goat March 1, 2015
- Goats Make Me Happy February 22, 2015
- Keep Calm Goats January 14, 2015
- Farm Patrolled by Crazy Goat Lady Shirt August 26, 2014
- Art Deco Gatsby Wedding Invitations August 22, 2014
- Doing my Part.. to Promote the Goat ™ August 21, 2014
- Customizable Vanity Goat License Plates July 28, 2014
- Wrist Watches for Goat Lovers July 27, 2014
- Goat Cake Pops July 26, 2014
Lots of Holiday Goats wearing caps and scarves and even a Santa hat , jingle bells , candy canes, Christmas candy, Christmas trees and a red barn all mixed up for a festive Goat Holiday Goodies for your gift giving this Christmas. Spruce up your gift giving this Holiday Season with Christmas GOATS! ©goatlady GetYerGoat.com – a GetYerGoat™ Exclusive A MUST have for the goat lover you know and love. Offering this awesome Christmas goat design on Goat lovers Christmas tree skirts, Christmas Goat wrapping paper and matching tissue paper and gift tags, Goat lovers Christmas gift bags, Goat Christmas stockings, Goat lovers mugs, Christmas goat totes, Christmas goat pet bowls, Goat lovers fabric and Christmas goat lovers decor pillows and more. This is the year of the Christmas Goat for your holiday pleasure. Enjoy! Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/GetYerGoat More
Goat yoga is a thing
– and hundreds are lining up for it
And they aren’t kidding!
Goat yoga is a thing
Every once in awhile, you stumble upon a phrase that immediately incites you to learn more. “Goat yoga” is one of those times!
Bring a Yoga Mat and an Open Mind. Goats Are Provided
says the New York Times
If you Really want to Show your Style -Get your very own
Trendy Goat Yoga Wear
So what’s the big deal you ask? GOATS ! The Goats are the big deal – lay people (those who do not raise goats ) are finally getting it! That goats are awesome creatures and a lot of fun to play with and be around. Those of us Who DO raise goats are thinking.. WHY Didn’t I think of that? Well if you are like me – it never occurred to us that all those hours laying in the grass letting the goats jump all over us and playing with them was a potential money maker – If you can teach yoga and you have goats I suggest to jump on the bandwagon NOW! I’m sure there are many places who need Goat Yoga classes offered – there are just a few now..
And the goats are loving it too. “They want to be where the people are,” says Morse (of the Oregon Goat Yoga Class) . They’ll walk around and sit on the mats and chew their cud, which is so methodical.
Our Favorite (being we are from Arizona) are the Az Goat Yoga classes
AZ Goat Yoga
Goats being the curious creatures they are and naturally loving, make a perfect combination for stress relief and getting back in touch with nature.
We (heart) Love Goat Yoga as much as we love our goats!
It’s hard to be sad and depressed when there are baby goats jumping around- even adult goats – those eyes will melt you every time – Goat Happy Hour is the best way to describe the time spent doing Yoga routines with the goats – Goats are natural Stress Busters – anyone who has spent countless hours with them will tell you – it is impossible to be in a bad mood around goats . So while Goat Yoga may sound like just a trend, I think this is a trend that will stay for quite awhile.
GetYerGoat™ Presents great Goat Yoga designs. Goat Yoga is the latest craze! Doing yoga at a farm near you with playful goats dancing around and on you during your yoga session – this is nature’s stress buster for sure.
Check out the great Goat Yoga designs we already have to offer in our shop – adding more each week.
Baby Goat Portrait Paintings
Goat Lovers Understand the saying:
I Just Freaking LOVE Baby Goats
Nothing more cute than a baby goat – THESE baby goats are adorable – I Just Freaking LOVE Baby Goats OK – I love Baby Goats … I Love Kidding Season…. I Love goats period.. all year round Great conversation starter especially to wear to goat shows – Original goat portrait paintings by GetYerGoat™
We have recently added Baby Goer Goats too – bringing our goat breed paintings up to seven – Boer goat, Pygmy goat, LaMancha Goat, Nigerian Dwarf goat, Toggenburg goat, Saanen goat, Alpine goat and Pygora goat.
We have created these portraits of baby goats so they look great on any color background – whether you choose a light colored shirt or black these baby goat portraits will look great !
Some of the products are even more customizable – the pillows, totes and mugs can have any color background you select – if you see a product we do not yet offer let us know and we will place the portrait on that product for you to purchase – we welcome questions and requests –
for a Quick Brush up on kidding, Please visit our sister site – Goat-Link.com and read our kidding page
Minimal supplies you will need.
- Clean towels for clearing baby’s nose and drying off baby -(hand towels gotten at the thrift shop are great).
- Lubricant for assisting delivery- (Vaseline or KY Jelly will do but there are inexpensive non-greasy lubricants just for lamb and goat obstetrics- my favorite is ‘Superlube’ because it is antiseptic as well).
- 7% iodine for navel cord dipping-( a film container works great for dipping navels) So you do not contaminate the whole bottle. You just put iodine in the film container dip navel in iodine and tip bottle and kid to make sure that the navel gets completely covered.
- Dental floss or a navel clamp for tying off possible ruptured navels- (this does not happen often, but when it does you’ll need this).
- Surgical gloves for keeping hands from transferring germs into mom should you need to assist-(These can be found at Walmart or any of the livestock supply house).
- Scissors that have been sterilized, preferably surgical scissors but any will do for cutting navel cords shorter if they break long, you’ll want them about 1 ½ inches long-(kept in a plastic bag to keep them clean).
- Alcohol for sterilizing scissors (30 minutes submerged in alcohol will sterilize) and cleaning hands before delivery.
- Paper towels for general clean up.
- Sterile syringes and needles- I use syringes for everything from injections to administering oral meds- 3 cc and 6 cc are great. (diabetic syringes measured in tenths are great for babies, you may have to change needles.. I have experienced the needles supplied are not strong enough, even for baby) I use short needles ½ inch and 3/4 inch 20 gauge.
- BO-SE (selenium /vit E combination to combat white muscle disease) obtained from your vet before the big day for selenium injection for baby- in selenium deficient areas- check with your vet on dosage. ( I use 1/10 cc for pygmy babies)
- Penicillin Procaine G in case you have to go inside the doe to assist the delivery, you will want to put her on antibiotics for 5 days afterwards-to be safe.
- Nasal spray or hemorrhoid medicine reduce swelling of vulva area in hard deliveries. (Both work great)
- Probiotic paste or yogurt to replace the rumen flora after administering any antibiotics. Antibiotics kill good bacteria that keeps the rumen working as well as what bacteria you are combating in the body.
- Disposable plain vinegar douche for cleaning out mom after a hard delivery or one with a dead fetus.
- Molasses and/or Goat Nutri-Drench for replacing mom with vital minerals and vitamins after kidding, also for quick energy that was depleted during delivery. A bucket or bowl that holds at least a gallon for the warm water you will mix the molasses into. (I use about 1/3 cup to a gallon of water).
- Propylene Glycol in case of ketosis-gotten at the vets or livestock supply.
- Rectal thermometer for taking baby’s temp or mom’s.
- Scale to weigh baby.
- Camera and assistant-for recording that wonderful event-I use a video camera so if there are problems later I can look back to see if something went wrong during delivery and I have forgotten-Plus it makes great brag material!
- Time to make sure your finger nails are shorter than short and remove any rings or bracelets before delivering kids- you don’t want anything that could tear her uterus should you have to go in to help.
Just a Goat!
From time to time friends and family tell me to lighten up, it’s “just a goat” or, that’s a lot of time and money you spend on “just a goat” but they really just don’t understand.While the following aren’t our words – they do reflect our sentiments.
Many hours have passed and my only company was “just a goat”. Some of my proudest moments have come about through “just a goat” and some my saddest moments have been brought about by “just a goat”. But in those times of darkness the gentle touch of “just a goat” gave me comfort and reason to overcome the moment.
“Just a goat” brings into my life friendship, trust and just a lot of joy. “Just a goat” brings out compassion and patience that make me a better person. Because of “just a goat” I rise early every morning rain, hail or shine, take lots of exercise and look longingly into the future. So, for me and other people with goats, it’s not “just a goat”, but all the hope and dreams, many fond memories and the pure joy of the moment.
“Just a goat” brings out what’s good in me and diverts my thoughts away from myself and the worries of the day. If you too think it’s “just a goat”, I hope that someday you can understand that it is the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being “just a person”. If you understand that it is not “just a goat’, next time your hear that phrase, just smile because they really just don’t understand.
Written by: Leslie McDowell, reproduced from Australian Goat World 2006
I Survived Kidding Season
Spring has sprung and your does are getting wider by the minute…
She’s moaning with fullness and her udder is starting to fill out.. Your back is aching from all the bending you have been doing checking her time and time again- Just to make sure…It’s Kidding Season!
At last, the time of year comes when you are ready for babies
OR ARE YOU?
The Time is Near:
Ok.. So now you are looking at your calendar and you DID write down the date of breeding right?.. I know you think you will remember what date who bred who.. But believe me .. You won’t be sure as the times nears. So I hope you did write down not only every time you bred but also any time the buck may have gotten out of his pen and with the girls, this is why we have surprise babies. And yes.. I have had my share!
Time to keep an eye on tail ligaments and other signs of oncoming labor.
Typical Signs of Early Labor (Not necessarily in order):
- Appears restless, shys away from herd
- Eyes glossy or luminous
- Paying much attention to her sides and smelling the ground
- Pawing at bedding or dirt
- Looking behind her and talking to her sides (typically in a voice you have never heard=”mama talk”)
- Talks to you alot as if she is telling you she is getting ready (she is, so listen)
- Gets dreamy eyed or star-gazy (euphoric)
- Looks less pregnant than she did before-sides have hollowed out, under-belly is full
- Lifts tail frequently and urinates frequently, usually not much urine at a time
- Lays down and gets up more than usual-figidty
- Udder begins to fill more-looks tight and shiny-teats get full
- Vulva becomes flabby then looks flat and opening looks longer
- White discharge (this may or may not happen) changing to an egg-white looking discharge, sometimes may have some blood streaking in it.
And when the babies are all on the ground and you can take a deep breath FINALLY- have a cup of coffee or tea in your favorite Kidding Season Mug
I just read a post from my friend on Facebook and she put it perfectly:
Kidding season… what it means to most is adorable baby goats to play and laugh at antics. To goat breeders it means this and more.
Sleepless nights watching your doe for slightest moves , worry about multiple kids getting tangled and the horrors of difficult births, giving doe proper meds prior too and after kidding to reduce risk of milk fever, ketosis, infection, weak kids who won’t thrive and no matter what you do they pass in your arms, a favorite doe that loses the battle after a difficult kidding and passes away in your arms, work of multiple bottles made everyday for hungry littl monsters.
The list of worries go on and on, but regardless of all of these things the wonderful, playful kids , the miracle of attending the birth of every new life on my farm and the amount of love I receive every day is worth every freezing night and worry imaginable!
God Bless ALL of my goat friends and may you have a safe kidding season , if you don’t you can always call your goat mentor, they are happy to help.
WIN GoatPedia™ Goat Owner’s Guide
This has been the Go To Goat Calendar for over a decade since it’ birth in 1997
More than just a calendar,. this is full of goat care information that you will use for years to come.
LIKE OUR PAGE, SHARE, & COMMENT a picture of your #FavoriteGoat (IF you Can) for a chance to win our GoatPedia™ #Goat Owner’s Guide and Calendar – One lucky winner will receive this Must have #2017GoatCalendar — Winner randomly chosen and announced Next Monday January 30, 2017 #GetYerGoat™ brings you ***2017 Goat Owner’s Guide and Calendar *** See ALL the pages here – http://bit.ly/2jRN7tp
Awesome Goat Lover T-Shirt
We offer these for every goat breed.
GetYerGoat offers shirts for goat lovers. Keeping the goat breeder in thought, we offer the Awesome Goat Lover T-shirt in your breed of choice, which makes the perfect goat lover’s gift for any occasion. I’m sure you love goats as much as I love goats and I try to offer you any chance to show off your favorite goat breed and add your farm name or herd name.
Wear the Awesome Goat Lover T-Shirt Proudly
Proclaim your love for your goats! This is what An Awesome Goat Lover looks like- for Goat Lovers. Add your herd or farm name or delete the option.
More Breeds are available too. Great for Visiting Goat Shows
Simple Thumbs up and goat breed with silhouette of the goat.
Great Goat Lover’s Tshirts, hoodies or sweatshirts for men or women.
CUSTOMIZE Awesome Goat Lover Myotonic Fainter Goat Flowy Racerback Tank Top by getyergoat
Look at Goats T-Shirts online at Zazzle.com
Proclaim your love for your goats! This is what An Awesome Goat Lover looks like- Add your herd or farm name or delete the option. What a fun way to Promote the Goat™ !
PADDY MCGINTY’S GOAT Song
Val Doonican – 1967
Mister Patrick McGinty, an Irishman of note,
Came into a fortune, so bought himself a goat.
Said he, “Sure, of goat’s milk I mean to have my fill!”
But when he got his Nanny home, he found it was a Bill.
And now all the ladies who live in Killaloo
Are all wearing bustles like their mothers used to do.
They each wear a bolster beneath the petticoat,
And leave the rest to Providence and Paddy McGinty’s goat!
Missis Burke to her daughter said, “Listen, Mary Jane, .
Now who was the man you were cuddling in the lane?
He’d long wiry whiskers all hanging from his chin.”
“Twas only Pat McGinty’s goat, ” she answer’d with a grin.
Then she went away from the village in disgrace,
She came back with powder and paint upon her face.
She’d rings on her fingers, and she wore a sable coat,
You bet your life they never came from Paddy McGinty’s goat.
Little Norah McCarthy the knot was going to tie,
She washed all her trousseau and hung it out to dry.
Then up came the goat and he saw the bits of white:
He chewed up all her falderals, and on her wedding night:
“Oh turn out the gas quick!” she shouted out to Pat,
For though l’m your bride, sure l’m not worth looking at.
I’d got two of ev’rything, I told you when I wrote,
But now I’ve one of nothing, all thro’ Paddy McGinty’s goat.’
Mickey Riley he went to the races t’other day.
He won twenty dollars and shouted, “Hip Hooray!!”
He held up the note, shouting “Look what I’ve got!”
The goat came up and grabbed at it and swallowed all the lot.
“He’s eaten my banknote,” said Mickey, with the hump.
They ran for the doctor, he brought a stomach pump.
He pumped and he pumped for that twenty dollar note,
But all he got was ninepence out of Paddy McGinty’s goat.
Now old Paddy’s Goat had a wonderous appetite,
and one day for breakfast he ate some dynamite.
A whole box of matches he swallowed all serene
and then he went and gobbled up a quart of paraffin.
He sat by the fireside, he didn’t give a hang,
swallowed a spark and exploded and exploded with a bang.
SO if you go to heaven you can bet a dollar note….
that the Angel with the whiskers on is Paddy McGinty’s Goat.
In Honor of Paddy McGinty’s Goat and All of my Irish friends –
MORE Paddy McGinty’s Goat goodies at GetyerGoat gift shop –